Saturday, March 1, 2008

'sew' whats all the fuss about?

As IF making hairbows, running a business, raising two children, keeping up with my kids scrapbooks, and running a household isnt quite enough for me... I decided that this was the year I was going to learn how to sew.

My grandmother began sewing at the age of seven. (I asked her that tonight in fact.) She said her mother made her sit down with her at the machine, and watch her and learn the basics. She also told her that if you didnt wear a thimble, you weren't a real seamstress. I have never seen my grandma sew without using one.

I got a sewing machine as a gift two years ago. I asked for it in fact. It sat untouched for sometime because Abby was still small then and Spencer wasnt in school yet and I didnt have a lot of free time to practice. Finally the day came that I was ready to meet the machine face to face. I plugged her in. I stared her down. I got out the manual. I wish I would have been warned! Threading the darn thing took forever! lol! The directions were like rocket science! I locked myself in the room so I would have no interruptions. Finally it was done. Now what? I guess I should sew something? But what?

Months went by and I practiced threading and rethreading. I learned to wind bobbins. I really became aquainted with the machine. My grandma came over a few times a month to give me pointers if I was working on something. Mostly I was just making things for the kids. Easy projects. Nothing with a pattern yet. Abby and Spencer are still bragging about these mini sleeping bags I made last month. Abby's sleeping bags were made to fit her Barbies and Spencers were for his GI Joes. They were both involved in the design of their products. I took them to the fabric store with me to pick out their own material. They each chose 6 different patterns and fleece for the inside of the bags. Spencers were all camoflage, skull, or flame themed. Abigail's were colors of pinks, purples, and turquoise, florals, dots, stripes, and one cat print.

Yesterday was the moment of truth. I decided to tackle the task of making something for myself using a pattern. I love handmade bags, and I had this amazing fabric I loved, so I decided I would make myself a purse. The process wasnt all that hard. I did find it perplexing however that I was expected to sew the purse completely inside out and backwards and make it come out correct by then turning the entire thing right side out by pulling it throuh a hole in the lining? What? How can this be? Well, I pulled and squished and tugged and- voila! A purse!
I was so EXCITED!


I don't expect to be selling them on the market anytime soon... ;)
But if I suddenly become the famous 'abby-doodles purse lady' you can always say you knew me when I was just a lil' ole bow maker.

No comments: